Monday, January 08, 2007

Pajama Daze












Remember growing up when you got to wear your favorite pajamas,(slippers,too) to school and even to church on a Sunday? No? Me, neither, because it never happened. If we wore pajamas to school we were promptly sent home to change and forever labeled a troublemaker and wearing them to church was so far from the realm of possibility that we didn't even dare to dream it. But not these days. Grey and Holland regularly have pajama days at school and even had one at church this past Sunday. They even get popcorn to go with the theme. (I remember the smell of popcorn wafting from the teacher's lounge, but no student ever actually saw the fluffy stuff. ) My issue with pajama day is, well, the pajamas. Grey generally picks out the smallest, rattiest t-shirt from deep within the bowels of his dresser and pairs it with pants that would remain high and dry should we have to wade through a foot of water. And Holland only wears her "Castle" t-shirt, 3 sizes too big, paired with striped pants originally designed to go with a matching shirt and then accesorizes the ensemble with the loudest socks she can find. (I finally had to hide the long, red Santa socks.) I know what you are thinking, "They looked cute in the Christmas Day pictures." Well that was plannned out as carefully as I planned their Christmas card picture outfits. Turns out, my friends do the same thing. Years on down the road nobody wants to look back at their Christmas morning pictures and see their kid wearing "My dad went to Cedar Rapids and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" 10 sizes too big or in a too-small t-shirt that barely reaches the top of the Scooby Doo underwear. We have to have some standards. But now I find myself shopping for pajamas in a whole new way. I have to buy church pajamas, school pajamas, and pajamas they will actually sleep in. Do I really need this kind of pressure?

No comments: