
Last night, we had the big "Ice Storm Warning" paired with "Winter Storm Warning" and one news station, not to be outdone, came up with my personal favorite "Arctic Blast". The usual Houston newscast of murder, robbery, corruption and the use of tazers was replaced with stories of roads being sanded, overpasses shut down, Home Depot out of space heaters , Academy selling out of long johns, and reporters 60 miles outside the city interviewing truck drivers who were passing out advice on how to drive on the ice. It got just plain silly because it was only going to possibly hit the fringes of Houston, but you know how the South is, just the mention of possible ice and schools start announcing closures. So naturally, I watched. I kept a close eye on the ticker at the bottom of the TV screen as reporters bleakly spoke of "black ice". I was waiting to see what Humble Independent School Distict would do, because Grey went to bed thinking he was getting the day off. And sure enough it appeared, Humble ISD closed Tues and Wed. What? Tuesday AND Wednesday. That didn't sound right. Why would they close for 2 days when nobody else was even sure about the 1 day? Turns out, some clever person forged an email to the news stations announcing the school closures. And you know I think he/she would have gotten away with it, but they got greedy and put 2 days. They were so close. And poor Grey actually cried when we told him school was not cancelled. As for tomorrow's weather, well, it's still up in the air. (HA, HA, HA!) Seriously, I think all will be fine and Grey will have school. I don't worry until I see Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel on the corner of Kingwood Drive and W. Lake Houston, then I know it's time to panic.

No comments:
Post a Comment