Sunday, October 05, 2008

The Real Natural Disaster

The first 2 days after the storm were pretty awful. It was hot, humid, muggy, and raining off and on. We tried to sleep that first night with the windows open, but it didn't help. Then the second storm rolled in and we had to close the windows because rain was blowing in on the carpet pretty heavily. So then we all felt sticky. Mac felt sticky, I felt sticky, the kids felt sticky, even the cat felt sticky. Nobody was allowed to touch anybody else with their stickiness. So as you can imagine, the next morning, the humidity was at an all time high. And I needed to wash my hair....
Now, 99% of people can wash their hair and let it air dry, and it look good or at the very least resemble human hair. Holland is in that 99%. Wash and go is pretty standard for her even with electricity. I am not one of those people...not even close. My hair needs boundaries, boundaries that only a hairdryer and flat iron can provide. Simply put; a hairdryer and flat iron are not wants in the Davis household, they are needs. Desperate needs.
That first day I washed my hair, with all the humidity, it took my hair 4 hours to completely dry. And the mess it dried into...well, it would have been better to have stayed wet. No barrette, rubber band, superglue, or hat could contain it. It became its own being, and a scary one at that. We had to open the sunroof in the truck just to give it breathing room.



Perhaps I'm overreacting a little bit. Why don't I let you judge for yourself.





Maybe a headband would have helped.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have really enjoyed The Davis 4 play by play of hurricane Ike...kept asking Ran how you guys were standing the heat and humidity
and she said you never mentioned being hot and sticky...I see why the dryer and flat iron are a must in your household...thanks for sharing Ike with us.

BB