Several Bags of Ice
Battery Operated Weather Radio
Bottled Water
Filled our Cars with Gas
Filled our Bathtubs with Water
Safe Interior Room
Non-electrical phone
Flashlights/Batteries
Candles
We were pretty proud of ourselves and completely under -prepared.
Here Mac measures and considers putting plywood on the windows. And that is as far as that idea went. Seriously, look at that ladder. That's the biggest one we have. Plywooding windows was not part of the rookie package. However, late that evening and early into Saturday morning after 5 hours of 80+ mph winds, when it sounded as though the windows may explode at any moment, we began to think the boarding up idea may have had merit.(I didn't get the banner up in time so I'm saying it now.) My friend, Emily, aka 77571 and her kids were in a mandatory evacuation area so they came and stayed with us. Once Lindsey got here, Holland was completely unaware of the impending natural disaster. She had a 24 hour playmate. And Josh was laid-back about the whole hurricane thing. I think he would have been upset if Ike had blown our stairs away since getting to them and climbing them was his main objective.
The power officially went out at 8:00 pm Friday night which was a little suspicious since there wasn't even a light breeze outside yet. But the kids got excited about the flashlights. (The novelty wore off after day 4.)

In the South, when the power goes out, so do the people. We all went out in our pajamas and played on the driveway and talked to the neighbors across the way. Little did we know that that would be our regular routine over the next 10 days.
And then the wind picked up and the rain came down. You can see the rain on Mac's shirt.
This became The Davis 4 Hurricane Headquarters. That candle burned the whole night. The bad thing about no power is there is nothing to mask the sounds of the wind. Mac, Grey, Lindsey, and Emily hung out in here. I laid with Holland in my bed just around the corner. She would make sure I was there by planting her foot in my thigh. Occasionally, I would sneak out and look in on the rest of the party. I remember at 3:00 am, I looked in and even with the wind I could hear someone eating Cheetos. It was strangely reassuring. Nothing is too bad if you have a snack bag of cheetos on hand. At some point I drifted off to sleep and woke up around 5:00 am and it was totally quiet, eery. That was when the eye was passing right over us. And then came the other side of the hurricane. I tell you what, it truly is an unforgettable experience, not for the faint of heart.
The next day Emily learns that she doesn't have flooding or major damage. Better yet, she got word that she had power. I believe the phrase "nanny nanny boo boo" came up. She offered to let us come stay with her, but we were thinking we would get our power back later that day or the next day, naive fools that we were.
The power officially went out at 8:00 pm Friday night which was a little suspicious since there wasn't even a light breeze outside yet. But the kids got excited about the flashlights. (The novelty wore off after day 4.)
In the South, when the power goes out, so do the people. We all went out in our pajamas and played on the driveway and talked to the neighbors across the way. Little did we know that that would be our regular routine over the next 10 days.
And then the wind picked up and the rain came down. You can see the rain on Mac's shirt.
This became The Davis 4 Hurricane Headquarters. That candle burned the whole night. The bad thing about no power is there is nothing to mask the sounds of the wind. Mac, Grey, Lindsey, and Emily hung out in here. I laid with Holland in my bed just around the corner. She would make sure I was there by planting her foot in my thigh. Occasionally, I would sneak out and look in on the rest of the party. I remember at 3:00 am, I looked in and even with the wind I could hear someone eating Cheetos. It was strangely reassuring. Nothing is too bad if you have a snack bag of cheetos on hand. At some point I drifted off to sleep and woke up around 5:00 am and it was totally quiet, eery. That was when the eye was passing right over us. And then came the other side of the hurricane. I tell you what, it truly is an unforgettable experience, not for the faint of heart.
The next day Emily learns that she doesn't have flooding or major damage. Better yet, she got word that she had power. I believe the phrase "nanny nanny boo boo" came up. She offered to let us come stay with her, but we were thinking we would get our power back later that day or the next day, naive fools that we were. 

No comments:
Post a Comment