Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Native American Giver

I took Holland to one of our favorite places, The Mudpie Company. You get to pick out a ceramic piece, paint it, and then the staff, glazes, bakes, and sprinkles some kind of magic fairy dust on it, 'cause when you pick it up, it looks 1000x better than when you left it. So, anyway, they had a Mother's Day Storytime project. They read a book, and then painted a tea light candle holder with roses made out of their fingerprints. A time for me to appreciate her fingerprints as works of art instead of making a dash for the Windex and a roll of papertowels. Holland really enjoyed the painting. And when we picked it up, she liked how her candle holder looked so much, she decided not to give it to me for Mother's Day, but keep it for herself. She said, "maybe, next year."


Holland had a question for every page of the book. And I've included a picture of Christy, well the back of her anyway, because she went to Mississippi State. Can I get a "go dawgs!" She saw my MSU keychain or maybe she heard the ringtone on my cell phone because it is the Mississippi State fight song, "Hail, State." Anyway, we had a bonding moment. Turns out she was in engineering and actually worked for Shell for 8 years before she decided to open this store doing what she loves and is soo talented at. I will add her to my "Really Cool Engineers" list. Besides my friend Emily, she'll be the only other one on the list.

She chose purple over pink, perhaps some Jennifer in her blood.




The roses with some staff modifications are Holland's fingerprints. It's a shame she won't give it to me. I would have been so surprised.




No comments: