Well, basketball season has officially begun. Grey had his first game on Saturday. It's a little different than last year. He plays at the same church, but the church has changed from the Upwards program to Team Sports. One of the changes that results from the switch is the division of the teams. Upwards divides up by grades, and Team Sports divides up by age. Grey turned 8 four days before the cutoff, so he is in the 8-9 yr old group. Since his birthday was so close to the cutoff, they gave him a choice. He could play in the 6-7 yr olds or the 8-9 yr olds. As his Mama, I pushed for the 6-7 age group......Don't give me that, I'm his mother, I don't want him to get run over by the bigger kids. Grey, however, said "I want the challenge " and opted to stay in the 8-9 yr old. After I quit crying, I called Mac and let him try to persuade him, to no avail.
So he is in the 8-9 yrold age group (sniff, sniff) on The Red Raiders team. He is doing great. He has stepped up his game and is learning so much more from this age group and from his coaches. In practice, they have been working with him as point guard, and he really seems to be made for that position. And not once have I run out to tie his shoe during practice because as Mac says, " that's just not cool."
For the record: The Red Raiders won their first game, 34-22 with Grey scoring the first basket.


See how much bigger they are. However, Grey doesn't even notice.

That's Grey, second from the left, in the white shirt. I don't know if you can tell, but the kid he's supposed to cover (in front of him) is at least a foot taller. Once again, Grey doesn't even notice.
2 comments:
DID YOU GET A MINI-VAN???
Fear not, I haven't given up just yet. I took that first picture in the parking lot because I didn't get a good picture in the gym. It just happened to be in front of a mini-van. But, what a good eye you have!
Post a Comment