Thursday, July 09, 2009

Released Back Into The Wild

Well, I had my 3 month appointment with my surgeon today. I can't believe it's been 3 months. Time sure flies when you're not crumpled over in pain. I had some x-rays, and he said everything looked good. He asked me if I was glad I did the surgery. It was all I could do not to stand up and shout, "ABSOLUTELY! HALLELUJAH! AMEN, BROTHER SURGEON!"

However, the not-so-great news is that it is Degenerative Disc Disease. I guess that makes me a part of a statistic of some sort. (It's always nice to be included in a group setting.) Anyway, there is a 5-15% chance of a recurrence and if that happens, the odds go up even more for another recurrence. The thought of going through it again isn't a thought I go to in my happy place, but I'm not going to worry about it.
This was my "Before" MRI picture. It's not very clear, but you can see that there should be a space between my spine and that nerve, not a black blob. He should just snipped off that portion of the disc, and it was wonderful after that. However, the disc is no longer living. RIP.
So, I am now officially "released" back into the wild.
It sure is good to be back.

No comments: