I think I have proven I am not always in my right mind and yes, I gave my 9 year old a cell phone.
An incident where he got lost riding his bike to meet Mac at the pool prompted it. It's about a 90 second bike ride that we have done 100s of times. Only this time, I think he was trying to race Mac, who drove. Grey missed his turn and ended up lost in the back of the neighborhood. Mac called me at the gym frantic. Our fear was that someone had grabbed him, because it was such a short ride and he knew the way, normally. But he eventually stopped and got help, and a lady let him follow her back to the pool and use her cellphone. Mac was giving his description to 911 when we finally all met up.
That incident took about 10 years off my life, and at my age, I don't have those kind of years to give.
So, we got the phone, free (thankyouverymuch) and a $10/month plan. Naturally, he thought he had just won the lottery and this was going to be his handheld social networking device....until I laid down the rules. Basically, he can only call home, my cell, Mac's cell, 2 emergency contacts (2 of my friends who happen to be in network), and 911. So he spends most of his time changing the ringtone and taking pictures with it which is fine by me.So, if you want to reach Grey by phone, call the home line.


No comments:
Post a Comment