Thursday, October 18, 2007

Back To My Roots

Well, I figured it was time to get back to my roots, my red hair roots. Somewhere along the line, my red hair with blonde highlights became blonde with the occasional strand of red hair. I've heard your cry, people. You do not prefer me as a blonde.

So Monday I made the appointment for color and a cut while Holland was at Pre-K, because there aren't enough Polly Pockets and Polly Pocket Accessories to keep her occupied for that length of time. Not even the Check Engine Light and strange noises coming from the Expedition engine could stop me from this appointment. (If I had known it was going to cost $400 to fix the truck, that probably would have stopped me.) But my good friend, Sheri, realizing how precious and important a hair appt is, dropped me off. Sheri is good people.

So, Sergio did a nice job of bringing back the red and still giving me some blonde highlights and educating me on the mechanics of an Expedition at the same time. Hey, there is a lot of time to talk when you are foiling the hair. Of course, I follow up the color with a haircut, only, Rebecca, who is the Rosie of all things hair, isn't there, so another stylist, who shall remain nameless, cuts and styles it.

Let me take this moment to expound on Rebecca's magic with scissors and a flat iron. People stop me all the time and tell me they love my haircut. I had one lady stop me in the church parking lot and tell me that my hair always looks perfect. I still have no idea who she was, but I plan on asking her to be my new best friend when I do find out. I also had one person want to take a picture. Now if you had seen my hair the first 32 years of my life, (rock bottom being around the summer of '86) you would understand that this was a feat deemed impossible by many a well-meaning stylist. Until Rebecca came into my life, I thought all those magazine pictures of great hair were just pipe dreams for me, pipe dreams, people.

Current day: Nameless cuts, thins (which goes without saying) and styles my hair. I leave thinking it's the same cut, I mean all she had to do was follow the cut already there, cut along the dotted line if you will. But apparently, she had a different style in mind. I began to notice that I got comments on my hair, but not really compliments. So I began to really look at it. And I noticed that it was even all the way around. Oh, no she didn't. (My hair all one length will begin to resemble a cotton ball shape within a week.) So I need confirmation that my hair was in fact the same length all the way around, right? And Mac is the only one around, so I go into the den, turn on the overhead surgical lights and ask him, IS MY HAIR EVEN? I don't know if it's because I blinded him with the lights or it sounds like a trick question, but he doesn't answer right away. So I answer for him, "It IS even, It's not supposed to be even, it's a bob, for goodness sakes....blah,blah,blah,blah......"

So he says the perfect thing," go back and have them fix it like you want".

Oh, how I love this man.

So I went back yesterday and Rebecca fixed my hair and people she did not charge me one red cent. Rebecca is good people, folks, She is goooooood people. And to prove my point, if you are actually still reading this, I got about 50 ft from the salon, out into the mall, when I ran into a lady I kind of know, you know the kind, you know them, but you can't come up with their name at that moment to save your life, (I have since remembered her name.) and she said to me, I kid you not, "Your hair looks so good."

Yeah, Rebecca is in the will.

6 comments:

Suzanne Durham said...

so I read this whole entry, slowly scrolling down so I would not see the picture of your "new" old hair until I finished reading the whole thing. But there is no picture!! What's up with that. I don't live in Texas anymore...I need a picture please.

Gayla Davis said...

That's just what you'd be expecting.

Jenn Cav said...

OK, so I desperately need "your people" to come visit ME. My whole house currently resembles your secret closet. So, I want you, your kids, Rebecca, and Rosie to hop in the car and head my way. You make this happen and I'll see to it that the pics from '86 stay under wrap.

Anonymous said...

I still have custody of the "summer of 86" and will hold on to them in case you are on the committee to pick my nursing home.....One mention of "south hall" and I'll show and tell all! Ant/Anut Gay

Anonymous said...

I was expecting a picture too! I can only go back to 1987, but I'm sure it's similar to 1986!!

Teri

Anonymous said...

I want to see the red hair...why don't we have pictures yet????


BB