Sunday, May 31, 2009

Good Luck With That

If there is one thing I have learned about Holland it is that if she is not self-motivated to learn something new, it is not going to happen. No amount of bribery, threats, banging your head on the concrete, crying (on my part) is going to get her to do it. It is what it is, and I have come to terms with it. 4 years of attempted swim lessons have made me wise, a little bitter, but mostly wise.
So when Mac said he wanted to teach Holland how to ride her bike sans training wheels when she has expressed virtually no interest in that milestone, I said, "you are on your own, cowboy."
And then I hid in the house to protect my ears from the wails of frustration. Then I decided I would take some pictures for you folks, because well, it didn't involve me behind a princess bike chanting, "you CAN do it" in between trying to breathe and running until my legs are numb. Besides that's what daddies are for.
Let's try a smile that doesn't look as though you have been waterboarded at Guatanomo Bay.


I guess that will have to do.

We are having fun, now. And Nick, the neighbor is being real helpful by telling her how easy it is.
(If it had been Grey, she would have hauled off that bike and knocked him out.)


She pleads to her mom, who wisely does not get involved.



There was LOTS of this.




And this. Mac may have a permanent slouch.





Finally, the voice of sanity rang out, and they quit and decided to play a little catch, and everybody was relatively happy again. Holland still can't ride a bike, but she's okay with that. And there is peace and calm again. And you can't put a price on that.







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They won't do it until THEY WANT to! Ask Uncle Jay....He pushed Jennifer for miles....didn't happen until SHE wanted it to happen....nice try Mac! Aunt Gay

Anonymous said...

I don't blame her for being scared. There's a helmet law for bicycles in Texas...not for motorcycles, but definitely for bicycles. Unless there's a VERY good explanation, CPS may be called in to investigate.

Gayla Davis said...

Nobody likes a tattletale.