Thursday, April 09, 2009

A Microdiscectomy Rocks

So, I'm finally catching up on my blogging. Hey, I have had back surgery, cut me some slack.

(I wonder how much longer I can use the "back surgery" card.)

I tell you I could really feel the prayers, because I had such a peace the whole time, even when the nurse who came in to set up my IV asked me how my neck was feeling. I simply replied, "my neck is feeling fine, my back and leg, however, hurt." She ran over to check my chart. No panic for me. Now had the surgeon said that, I might have expressed some alarm. I was actually more worried about my hospital gown that had this pocket with a hole for some sort of medical purpose that fell over a strategic part of my body. I kept trying to move it to where I was less likely to have a wardrobe malfunction. I told Mac if he was around when I passed out to please make sure I wasn't popping out on my way to the OR.

Though I was scheduled for 7:30, I didn't go in until 10:30. Apparently, it doesn't matter what time you are scheduled, it's all about where you are in the lineup. So, I patiently (no pun intended) waited and watched as other similarly clad operees headed off to the OR. Finally, I got my turn. They gave me my margarita (that's what they call the anesthesia. It's south Texas, people.) I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the OR, because I was curious to see if it was anything like what the TV portrays it as. Alas, I passed out in the hall, and woke up in recovery 45 minutes later to a spoonful of ice chips. I remember nothing about Margaritaville. Probably for the best since there was some nudity involved.

The surgery was a success. I had immediate relief. Of course, I had the incision pain, but the herniated disc pain...GONE! Mac got to see the part of the disc Dr. W. cut out. He said it looked like a little pink shrimp. (I'm disappointed I don't have a comment for that.) I got to go home around 3:30. I was still coming off anesthesia and hopped up on pain and anti-nausea meds so every time my head touched something, I dozed off. Not much for conversation or complete sentences. I need to apologize to one person who called and I actually picked up the phone and tried to hold a conversation. First of all, I must have been on drugs to even answer the phone. I hardly do that on a normal day. So, I'll say thanks for the call, sorry for the conversation. You know who you are.

So here I am 2 weeks later, had my checkup and everything looks great. The scar is minimal. (Just glad I never got that tattoo on my lower back in college.) In fact, one of my friends said it just looked like a scratch. I call it the $23,000 scratch. There's still a good size knot/lump at the incision, but that will go away in time. I am not destined to live life as a camel or the Hunchback of Kingwood. I was slightly concerned about that. Anyway, I've got 2 more weeks of no bending or twisting, and then I can slowly resume my limbo and hula hoop career. I've missed it so.

So, let me wrap this up by first of all saying thanks for the prayers, cards, and even phone calls before, during, and after surgery. You rock! Thanks for the meals. I'm afraid Mac may sign me up for more surgery for some more of those chicken enchiladas alone. Thanks to David for enduring the 3 hour tour of waiting and keeping Mac company during the surgery and for not telling the Lifegroup that my first name is Margaret. You rock! Thanks so much! I am blessed to have so many great friends and family!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yea! We are so thankful it's over and a success. Next Family reunion, you and Lu can trade stories. Love you, Aunt Gay