Monday, March 30, 2009

The Rest Of The Story

So, I think I left off with me scheduled for a MRI. Let me go ahead and lay this out there for those of you (the 2 of you) who thought I was a strong and fearless sort of gal; I have many fears/phobias and do not respond well when confronted with any of them. Along with heights, total darkness, spiders, and making phone calls, is small confined spaces. The only thing more confined than a MRI machine is a casket. (Of course, if you are lying in a casket, claustrophobia is the least of your worries.)

My MRI was during spring break and since neither of the kids wanted to sit in a waiting room for an hour, Mac stayed home with them, and I had to go by myself. (Another fear is facing my fears alone. I have a lot of layers, people.)

So as I lay on the conveyer belt to head in the MRI machine, I am having an internal panic attack that is just about to go external. I got my head and shoulders in, before I said, "bring me out, bring me out, bring me out." So, the tech brought me out and was very nice and we had a Q & A session. I discovered that the other end of the MRI beast was open. Granted my head would still be completely in the machine, but something about being able to glance up and see daylight was reassuring. I felt like I had an escape route. Of course, I was strapped down from my pelvis to my knees, but I chose not to dwell on that detail. To pass the time, I closed my eyes, and in my head prayed, sang songs, and played "Name that Noise." I would try to identify each sound. I came up with:

1. the jackhammer

2. a scene from the Wii Star Wars Lego game (STILL a big hit, Jenn)

3. the juiceharp

4. the neighbor kid repeatedly knocking on our door

5. a machine gun

6. the duet of #1 and #3



And so it went for 25 minutes and then I got to get out for a couple of minutes and then went back in for the 2nd MRI, yet another 25 minutes. I was so glad when it was over. Question #14 on the forms I filled out in the waiting room now made perfect sense. It was," Have you taken any sedatives or alcohol to help relax you for this test?" I sure wish I had known about those options earlier.



WHAT ABOUT THE RESULTS?

Normally, I would try to stretch this into 2 posts, but since I don't have any pics (Due to the economic times, corporate had to lay off the staff photographer.) you get more words. Stay with me.



So, Dr #3, who ordered the MRI calls me personally to tell me that I have a disc in my back that has ripped through the soft tissue and is sitting on a nerve, hence the leg pain. He said it is one of the worst 3 he has ever seen. Why I can't I be in the top 3 of something good? Anyway, he may have to send me to a orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon, but that he could try some cortisone shots and physical therapy. I opted for the surgeon. It looked like I was going to end up there anyway.

So, I got a really good surgeon, recommended by several friends. He explained the situation a little better. (I love when they draw a simplified picture on paper. It makes the concept so much easier to grasp.) We could do the cortisone shots, etc, but basically, I am going to end up needing the surgery cause that disc is 1.7 cm out. The procedure is called a Microdisectomy. It takes about 15 minutes, and I get to go home the same day. Plus, the surgeon said it's one surgery where you wake up feeling better right away because the disc is no longer on a nerve. Yay for me!

So here's where we currently stand: Surgery is scheduled for Friday, April 3rd at 7:30am, but they'll let me know if it is set in stone on Thursday. Then I have about a 4 week recovery which includes walking, stationary biking, and swimming. Then I can slowly return to my workouts. I have myself a goal date to return to Body Combat. Hopefully, I'll be back to kicking my own butt in no time.



So keep me in your prayers, I really do appreciate it!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

PAPA SAID:
Having been inside one of those MRI sardine cans myself, I can say your explanation is right-on.
Love you,
Papa