Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Back By Popular Demand

I do love a good post title that has "pun' written all over it. Bear with me, I haven't been here in a while. Let's talk about the most pressing issue at the moment. My back. It's an old song, but this time we have a new verse.

For the past 4 weeks or so my back has been given me some problems. Pain, lower right corner. I pretty much ignored it or threw some ibuprofen at it and continued to work out...a lot. I admit it, I'm addicted to Body Combat. It is my favorite workout, hands down, well, actually the hands are up in the air punching, throwing uppercuts, etc..... Anyway, I woke up about 5:00 am, 11 days ago on a Saturday in a world of hurt. It was not pretty. So, Mac took my Leaning Tower of Pisa body to the Urgent Care, dropped me off and took the kids to get donuts. (My suggestion because Hungry Kids + Waiting Room = Misery)
I knew it was bad when they asked me to stand on the scale and I was seriously considering hanging onto my purse no matter how much extra weight that would add to the total because the thought of putting it down and then having to bend down and pick it back up seemed impossible. Fortunately, the nurse agreed to pick it up after I got off the scale. He's on the Christmas card list. So, I left that doctor with an Rx for a steroid pack, muscle relaxers, and instructions to rest on a heating pad. And so I did.

Monday I woke up and the overall back pain was better. However, I had a new problem. Now the pain still working from it's lower right corner of my back, headquarters was causing pain down my right leg. I had never had that before. And I do mean painful. I put up with that until Tuesday when I went to Doctor #2 which is the original one I wanted to see, but she doesn't do Saturdays. So, she did x-rays, 5 views of my back, but the x-rays weren't too helpful. I left there with Rx's for an anti-inflammatory, pain med, and instructions to finish the steroid pack and call her in a couple of days if the back and leg weren't better. Then she would want to do an MRI and/or physical therapy.

Seriously? An MRI?

Okay, let's speed this up.

Not better in couple of days. Called back. Get Referral for new doctor (sports therapy). I am making friends all over Kingwood. Dr. #3 exams and calls for the MRI. He gives me a different pain medicine. And since I'm loopy naturally, I only take those at night. So, now you are either fast asleep or caught up. Tomorrow, Thursday, I have my MRI. I have some concerns especially when the nurse asked me on the phone, "on a scale of 1-10, how claustrophobic are you?" So I am going to reach way back to my tanning bed days and try to relax and enjoy 45 min to an hour of peace and loud machine noises. Should be a blast.


I'll get "back" to you with the results. (The pun never ends.)

No comments: