Sunday, February 22, 2009

Pink Eye Blues

Pink eye, the gift that keeps on giving. I guess it was my turn. I woke up Friday with a nasty case of Pink Eye, and I do mean nasty. I could spare you the details, but for entertainment value, I won't. I awoke unable to open my eye and when I got to the mirror, I got to see why.

My upper eyelashes were glued to my lower lashes with a green gooey mucous. I was going to call Grey in to see it, because, well, 9 year old boys love that stuff. It makes for great lunch time stories, and I am all about supporting his social career. It was too early, so he had to settle for my description and create his own visual. It didn't improve much during the day, and when I awoke Saturday, it was the same green gooey mess again, this time with mucous oozing from both sides of the eye. Still with me?

However, since this was the first Saturday in a long time that Mac wasn't giving a sales meeting or working at one of his accounts (or both), and there were no basketball games for Grey or dance competitions for Holland, I was determined we were going to spend the day together, no matter how much I wanted to plant myself on the sofa and rest my aching head. So, while they went to enjoy donuts, I headed over to the urgent care clinic for some eye drops and sinus medicine. Then we met up and went to see a movie. I held off on the sinus meds because the side effects included drowsiness and dizziness. So, we watched "Hotel For Dogs", which, by the way, we really liked, while my head pulsed and my eyeball bulged and glowed red. Then we ate some lunch in which I gave in to the sinus pain and took the meds and I was fine.....for about 20 minutes. We stopped by the library (we do love free books and movies) and I could feel the dizziness, slightly, as we walked in. My real problem came when I was kneeling down to help Holland pick out books. As I stood up, I reached out for a bookshelf to steady myself. Unfortunately, it was a freestanding mini bookshelf, and I was pushing it to its death. I was able to catch it before it hit the floor, but not before about 20 paperbacks and a stack of fliers flew out. And of course, in the library, every sound is like a gunshot going off. I know what people were thinking seeing an unsteady, red-eyed woman, knocking over bookshelfs....hello...drunk.

Thankfully, Mac helped me clean up my mess, after he quit chuckling, that is. That was when I decided I better give it up and head home where I finally planted my aching head and bulging red eyeball into the sofa, which is probably where I should have been the whole day.
But where's the family fun in that?

I spared you the gooey, oozing version. I just wish I could have gotten a picture of my sinus cavity. Wouldn't that have been a treat.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't understand why you don't use this as your profile photo on Facebook?!?!

Anonymous said...

Didn't ya mama teach you that stuff is contagious?? I would have hated to meet up with you that day...how many other of the Davis 3 have it yet?

BB

Gayla Davis said...

The Davis 4 are no strangers to The Pink Eye. We have learned how to keep our eyeballs to ourselves to prevent the spreading of it. We are quite proud of that.