Friday, August 28, 2009

Schlitterbahn 2009

We promised the kids that we would take them to Schlitterbahn in Galveston before school started. So, the Friday before school started we loaded up and headed down there. I know it seems like we waited until the last minute, but it wasn't as crowded because most schools had started and it was tax-free weekend so lots of people were shopping. I am a firm believer that timing is everything.

We got there as the doors opened and then let those same doors hit us on the way out as they closed. We had a blast!!

Waiting in line for a ride.
I would comment on my hair, but I think I have sufficiently covered the horrific effects of air drying on my hair in prior posts.







Grey took on the Boogie Bahn which was boogie boarding the waves. Not as easy as it looks.





Hang ten, Grey.





Not to be shown up by a 9 year old, Mac takes on the Boogie Bahn for himself.

Holland and I sat on the bleachers, in the shade, eating Dippin Dots.







Holland and her personal tube chauffeur








The lazy river was anything but lazy. We rode the rapids and the waves around and around and around. It was a lot of fun, but a lot of work to try and stay together.










Holland and Mac ridin' the Guada Loopy.









Mac, on the left there, not only tried that blue side, but went back up and tried the middle pink slide, the one where the guy in the pic is checking to make sure everything he started with at the top of the slide made it with him to the bottom, either that or he's working out a wedgie. Grey took the blue slide on the right.

As scary as this ride was, nothing was as scary as our drive home. We drove straight into a severe thunderstorm. Lightning was striking everywhere around us, and Grey kept his eyes peeled for a funnel cloud. As we hit the Beltway, the bottom fell out. We got to one of the big bridges just as the sky turned dark as night, the rain hit even harder and we were crossing the bridge at 35 mph with our hazard lights on. Just as we got to the very top, we heard a loud BOOM and watched as lightning struck the streetlight less than 10 feet from us. We saw sparks fly down around us. FREAKY!

I am so thankful for that streetlight, because otherwise WE would have been the tallest thing on the bridge, and I wasn't sure how our insurance company would feel about a second claim involving lightning in 3.5 years. I'd hate to have our file labeled, "lightning prone".









No comments: